Changing an Employee's Withholding State Tax

Changing an Employee's Withholding State Tax

Please note that the payroll system defaults to the company state for tax purposes, so in addition to the steps below, the company’s cost center(s) need to reflect “Use Employee Home Address As Work Address For Taxes”  **for help with this set up, please contact your payroll processor**

From the main menu, click on Team

        1.      My Team

        2.      Employee Information


        3.      Click on the  icon next the applicable employee 

        4.      From the employee’s payroll tab, click on Tax Information

        5.      Click on State

        6.      Under Jurisdiction you will see the withholding state for the employee.  Click on Actions and View Tax Jurisdiction

      If the employee is not subject to this tax you have two options to choose from, Block and Exempt (see        definitions below for each).

      Yes: The employee or employer is subject to withholding for this tax.
      Block W/H: The wages will be reported for the tax, but withholding will not occur.
      Exempt: Both wages and taxes are exempt. Therefore, taxable wages will not be reported,                and withholding will not occur.  Selecting Tax Exempt stops the system from calculating both wages                   and tax. No wage or tax will be reported on Tax Returns & Year-End Tax Forms for this tax.

      To stop tax from withholding but have the system continue to calculate, track and report the wages, set        the EE Withhold Status to Block W/H.
        7.      If you need to add a new state, click on Add, and choose the new state.  

On the employee's next pay statement please review to make sure that taxes are being withheld to the correct state.  

      *Please contact your payroll specialist if you need assistance* 

    • Related Articles

    • Changing an Employee's Unemployment State

      From the main menu, click on Team 1. My Team 2. Employee Information 3. Click on the icon next the applicable employee 4. From the employee’s payroll tab, click on Tax Information 5. Click on State 6. Scroll to the Unemployment state listed, under ...
    • Update Employee Tax Withholding
    • Where do I find my Quarterly Tax Documents and 941's?

      From the Payroll Tab 1. You may see the Quarterly Tax Reports button on your dashboard to bring you to the reports. **If you don't see this button- see option 2** 2. From menu in upper left of dashboard navigate to: My Info > My Reports > Payroll ...
    • Approving HR/Payroll Forms

      Instructions on approving employee forms to get them added to the employee's record You will see the forms with the status "employee completed" You can click on the pencil next to these forms to approve them Withholding Forms: Once in the form you ...
    • Adding PTO to Employee Record

      Team -> Accruals -> Balances Here you will click on the pencil by the employee that needs the adjustment You will want to enter what the new balance should be. **Do not enter the adjustment amount**. Leave the "As of Date" the same. Then enter a ...